How I Lost The Baby Weight + My Pregnancy Workout Routine (tons of before + after pics!)


So I guess I'm about to be one of THOSE people who shares their weight loss journey. But after getting lots of questions, and also lots of people who think that my pregnancy weight just magically disappeared, I decided to share my story to inspire those of you preggo ladies out there! To be honest, my pregnancy weight DID just fall off, but it isn't because of "genetics" or because I am "lucky" it's because I worked really freaking hard! My "weight loss journey" began from the day I became pregnant!! Here's what I did during pregnancy and postpartum:

*The nutrition aspect of this post is not super detailed because I ate totally differently week-to-week! Sorry I didn't record my meals in more detail, but some days I was ravenous, and others not super hungry so it just varied a lot. 

1st Trimester Workouts:

This photo was taken at 16 weeks, which in my opinion is the worst stage of pregnancy! You feel super bloated and chunky, without any signs of a cute bump. During the first trimester, I didn't alter my workouts at all! I did some form of cardio 5 days a week for 30 minutes, and my weeks usually looked something like this:

Workouts:
Monday: 30 minute run + arm workout either using free weights (up to 10 lbs) or using the machines at the gym

Tuesday: 30 minute run + leg workout (squats or workouts on the mat)

Wednesday: 30 minute elliptical

Thursday: 30 minute run + arm workout either using free weights (up to 10 lbs) or using the machines at the gym

Friday: 30 minute run + leg workout (squats or workouts on the mat)

Weekends off, sometimes I would add a 6th day if I was feeling exhausted, because the cardio always made me feel energized!

Nutrition:
During my entire first trimester I ate AWFUL. Mostly mexican food, bagels, tons of carbs. If I ever did pregnancy again, I would definitely not do this (but then again, you do what you do to get by). Regardless of exercising, I gained the most weight early on from poor eating.

2nd Trimester Workouts:
During my 2nd trimester I continued to workout 5 days a week! I toned down the running when it began to make my pelvic floor sore, and I stopped any floor exercises that required me to lay flat on my back. I also made sure any weights I lifted were under 10lbs, and that I didn't strain myself. 

Workouts:
Monday: 30 minute elliptical + arm workout either using free weights (up to 10 lbs) or using the machines at the gym

Tuesday: 15 minute run + 15 minute elliptical + leg workout (squats or workouts on the mat)

Wednesday: 30 minute elliptical

Thursday: 15 minute run + 15 minute elliptical + arm workout either using free weights (up to 10 lbs) or using the machines at the gym

Friday: 30 minute elliptical + leg workout (squats or workouts on the mat)

Weekends off!

Nutrition:
During my second trimester, I really watched the scale & what I ate after having such a bad first trimester eating wise! I think I actually toned up my arms and legs while pregnant during this trimester, even though my belly continued to grow, just by eating well! I generally had 2 eggs for breakfast, yogurt for lunch, some healthy snacks in between lunch and dinner such as almonds or oranges and then a small dinner because of heartburn. 

3rd Trimester Workouts:

These were snapped at 8.5 months pregnant, and still in the gym every day! You can do it ladies!! I kid you not, I worked out until the week I gave birth. Yes, some days my lungs didn't properly breath and I cramped up and quit after 10 minutes, but I made sure to get my booty to the gym and do something almost every day. Here's the routine I loosely followed toward the end of pregnancy. I completely stopped running in this trimester. 

Monday: 15 minute elliptical + 15 minutes walking uphill at an incline of 11.5 at 3.3 mph + arm workouts with 5 lbs weights.

Tuesday: 15 minute elliptical + 15 minutes walking uphill at an incline of 11.5 at 3.3 mph

Wednesday: 30 minute elliptical

Thursday: 15 minute elliptical + 15 minutes walking uphill at an incline of 11.5 at 3.3 mph + arm workouts with 5 lbs weights.

Friday: 30 minute elliptical

Weekends off!

Nutrition:
During my third trimester I was so uncomfortable and my heartburn was so bad that I didn't have too much of an appetite. I did cheat and eat a lot of sweets in the last month or so, but in general I ate a heavy breakfast (oatmeal and eggs) and lunch (usually a muffin from the local coffee shop) and skipped dinner, so that I would sleep better at night.

Postpartum Weight Loss/Excercise:

Sharing these isn't necessarily glamorous, but I wanted to share them to show you guys who are pregnant that you will slowly turn back into yourself again! I was really discouraged when I came home from the hospital and realized I only lost 12 lbs - and my baby was 9! But, 2 weeks later I was only 1lb up from my pre-pregnancy weight. Yup, I ended up losing 5 lbs after the entire ordeal. What did I do? Here's more deets:

Weeks 1-6 PP: All I did was breastfeed! I ate mostly whatever I wanted in moderation, and I nursed the days away.

Weeks 6+: Right when I got the okay, I started working out again! I began slow, by running 12 minute miles and spending most days on the elliptical. I stopped running as much as I did pre-pregnancy, because A. it makes me sore still in my pelvis and B. I realized that the elliptical allows me to workout for longer and more often! Now my weekly workouts look like this

Monday: 30 minutes on the elliptical
Tuesday: Fitness Blender arm workout at home
Wednesday: 30 minute run
Thursday: Fitness Blender leg workout
Friday: 30 minutes on the elliptical. 

I have so much more to say on this topic, and I feel super passionate about it, so please ask any other questions you may have and I can always share more! 

Labels: ,